What is child support?

Child support is payments made by one or both parents, to the other after separation, to assist with looking after any children of the relationship. In Australia, child support is assessed by the Child Support Registrar.

The Department of Human Service (DHS) is the department that manages child support through the Child Support Registrar. The website can be difficult to navigate however, the below guides are useful:

  • The Child Support Guide

  • Administrative forms

  • Child support estimator

What types of payments are there?

Child support is often viewed in two ways:

  • Periodic child support - how much you receive or pay each week; and

  • Non-periodic child support - payments such as private school fees, child care, health insurance, medical or dental treatment.

It is important that each party recognises the difference between these.

For example, if you pay (or receive) $200 per week by way of periodic child support, you may also be required to pay (or be entitled to receive) additional funds by way of non-periodic child support to assist you to pay a child’s school fees.

How is child support calculated?

Whilst the formula for calculating child support is a complex one, broadly speaking, child support is calculated by using the following data:

  • Number of children;

  • Age of children;

  • Income of each parent;

  • Other costs the paying parent is contributing to;

  • Time each child spends in the care of each parent.

The calculation is often generated off the income disclosed through tax returns filed with the Australian Taxation Office.

The Child Support Agency has broad powers to enforce the payment of child support, including the directing your employer (or the other parent’s employer) to pay, garnishing any sums of money to be received, including tax returns or sale proceeds from a settlement and can restrict a parents capacity to travel overseas.

Child support is a complex area of family law, where parties often require legal assistance. This includes the following occasions:

  • Negotiating a private agreement with your former spouse to support your children – known as a Child Support Agreement;

  • Assisting with matters concerning paternity disputes;

  • Assisting in explaining the administrative assessment and review procedures;

  • Assisting you with the Child Support Agency;

  • Advising you as to how child support matters may affect your property or spousal maintenance matters;

  • Advising you as to how child support can impact on parenting arrangements;

  • Applications to the court for non-periodic child support;

  • Issuing court proceedings to depart from the administrative assessment.

Call now and speak with a family lawyer

WA 08 6245 0855 NSW 02 8320 0085 reception@meillonandbright.com.au

Contacting an experienced family lawyer is a crucial step in securing your future.

Whether you're only just considering separation or in the early stages of separating from your partner, or whether you're needing assistance with:

  • divorce;
  • parenting matters;
  • property settlement; or
  • financial agreements;

our team of experienced lawyers are here to help guide you through the family law system.

Latest blogs - Child Support

Can I secretly record my ex for family law proceedings?

Can I secretly record my ex for family law proceedings?

If your communications with the other side start to get messy or out of control, sometimes there is panic and people can be tempted to covertly and secretly record conversations. It’s important to know that there are legal limitations as to whether those recordings can or will be considered in Court and whether they were legally taken at all.
Read more
Paternity tests to prove parentage in family law matters

Paternity tests to prove parentage in family law matters

A DNA paternity test can be performed where there is a dispute about who the child’s parents are. Most commonly, disputes can arise about who the father is in the context of child support. However, it is also common to see an application for DNA paternity testing in family law proceedings where a party is seeking to spend time with a child.
Read more
What is adult child maintenance?

What is adult child maintenance?

The Family Law Act deals with what is referred to as “adult child maintenance” or “child maintenance”. The purpose of this Division is to ensure a proper level of financial support of children by their parents, having regard to their respective means.
Read more
Are my future needs considered in family law property settlement?

Are my future needs considered in family law property settlement?

When a marriage or relationship breaks down, a question that often comes to mind is, “They make so much more money than me, I am sick, I am keeping the care of the children – will I be compensated for our different future needs?” 
Read more